Did you know that Hurricane Sandy caused 8.5 million power outages across 21 states? The Atlantic Hurricane season takes place from June to November with the peak season from mid-August to late October. Will you be prepared if a storm hits your neighborhood?
Here are a few ways you can stay safe during a hurricane or other powerful storm:
- Unplug electrical devices and appliances from outlets when the power goes out. This will help protect them from power surges.
- Planning on using a portable generator? Be sure to have it installed by a licensed electrician. This way you can be sure it will operate safely.
- Test your home’s carbon monoxide and smoke detectors regularly to make sure they are functioning.
- Use flashlights as a source of light instead of candles.
- Looking for a place to keep your generator while it’s in use? Never put it inside your home or in another enclosed or partially enclosed space.
- Fallen power lines are common when severe storms hit. If you see any in your neighborhood report it to local authorities. NEVER attempt to touch or move them!
Looking for electrical service in Rochester, NY? Lon Lockwood Electric is only a phone call away. Call us at to schedule an appointment today!