According to the U.S. Fire Administration, approximately 47,000 fires occur during the winter holiday season. With Thanksgiving weekend less than a week away, it’s time to start getting your decorations together. Just make sure to follow all safety guidelines and manufacturer’s instructions for outdoor decorations so your home doesn’t become another statistic.
- Hanging lights? Only use wooden or fiberglass ladders when dealing with electricity. Metal ladders conduct electricity and can cause shocks or burns.
- Inspect ladders for broken or missing screws, hinges or bolts
- Make sure all electrical cords are labeled for outdoor use.
- All outdoor lights, cords and other electrical decorations should be plugged into a GFCI outlet.
- Never put nails or staples through electrical cords or wires.
- Have overhead power lines in your neighborhood? Be sure to keep yourself and your ladder away.
- Make sure cords, lights and wires are not pinched in any windows or doors.
Stay tuned for additional electrical safety tips later in the month and remember when you need a residential electric in the Rochester area, give Lon Lockwood Electric a call! (585) 766-4702.