Did you know that space heaters cause almost 25,000 home fires and 6,000 emergency room visits each year? While some homeowners opt for them as a main source of heating during the cooler months, they can pose a major threat to your home and your health.
Find out a few reasons why you should reconsider purchasing a portable heater below:
- Most homeowners don’t know the proper size to purchase. Oversized heaters can produce too much heat for a certain room and cause serious problems.
- They should never be placed in high-traffic areas. Young children and pets should kept far away.
- Liquid-filled space heaters (propane, natural gas and kerosene) produce dangerous fumes.
- Refilling a warm heater can cause it to explode or burst into flames.
- Portable electric heaters often cause an overloaded circuit. They should always be plugged directly into a wall outlet.
If you MUST use a space heater this season, be sure to read up on safe usage methods and follow all guidelines.
Lon Lockwood Electric specializes in residential installation, repair, and maintenance of electrical work in Rochester, New York. Give us a call at (585) 766-4702 to schedule an appointment and don’t forget to connect with us on Facebook!