We’re smack dab in the middle of hurricane season and we’ve already seen some of its nasty effects. Even though Hermine seemed to have fooled us all here on the east coast, you never know when another powerful storm can hit.
It’s not uncommon for homes in the Rochester area to lose power when a severe storm hits and there are lots of ways to keep your home and your family safe. Keep these tips in mind should we lose power this season:
- Avoid burning candles as a source of light. If left unattended, they can become a major hazard and potentially lead to a fire.
- Unplug all electrical devices to prevent a surge when power is restored. We do however, recommend leaving one device plugged in so you know when the power comes back on.
- Be sure to stock your cabinets with non-perishable foods and other essentials such as batteries and flashlights before the storm hits.
- Consider having a generator installed. This is a great way to receive power to certain rooms or the entire house even while the power is out.
- Never run a generator inside your home or in an enclosed structure such as the garage or shed.
Lon Lockwood Electric specializes in residential installation, repair, and maintenance of electrical work in Rochester, New York. Our electricians, well trained and experienced, possess a comprehensive knowledge of electrical systems. Rely on us for any kind of residential electrical services!