Not another bill! Do you find yourself saying that multiple times a week, or whenever you check your mailbox? You’re not alone. Homeowners across the country are constantly looking for ways to cut back on their bills and save money around the home. If you’re one of them, we’ve got a few tips for you. See below to find out how you can keep some money in your wallet by becoming a bit more thrifty:
- Dust off those dirty light bulbs because dirty bulbs emit 30% less light than clean ones. It may not sound like a lot, but when a room is dim people tend to turn on more fixtures which adds to higher energy bills. Use a damp cloth to clean them up – just be sure to turn off the switch and let the bulb cool first.
- Check the temperature settings in your fridge and freezer. Simply turning them up 5° could save you nearly 10% on electricity bills. Just don’t go above 38° in the fridge or your food might spoil.
- Remember to turn off the lights every time you leave the room. Leaving on just 10 of the average home’s 85 lights for 15 hours a day can cause you to spend almost $90 a year more than you would if you simply turned them off.
- Is your ceiling fan more than 10 years old? If so, it’s probably a good idea to replace it with a newer, more energy efficient model. Running them in conjunction with your air conditioner can help to cool off your home more quickly so you won’t have to run your cooling system all day long.
- Give your electronics a rest. Use sleep mode whenever possible and remember to turn them off and unplug them if you’re not going to be using them for a while. Not only will you save electricity, but it can help extend the life of your equipment.
- Keep refrigerator doors closed, especially during power outages. Leaving the doors open for more than 30 seconds at a time can cause energy consumption to spike by more than 10%.
Lon Lockwood Electric specializes in residential installation, repair, and maintenance of electrical work in Rochester, New York. As a locally owned company, we understand the pride of Rochester NY residents in our great city and the surrounding counties. Our electricians, well trained and experienced, possess a comprehensive knowledge of electrical systems. Rely on us for any kind of residential electrical services.