If you haven’t watched Home Alone on repeat or spent hours trying to figure out which bulb in the string blew out, is it really the holiday season? As you’re planning out where exactly to put all of those lights and inflatable decorations, keep the safety tips below in mind. Because after all, safety is the most important gift anyone can receive.
- Inspect your home’s electrical system. Look for warm or discolored outlets and check all plugs to make sure they’re not bent or broken.
- Use electrical cords specifically rated for outdoor use with all exterior decorations.
- Make sure all outdoor outlets are ground fault circuit interrupters, or GFCIs.
- Think twice about using nails or staples to affix lights and decorations. You may want to consider hooks instead to avoid puncturing wires.
- Ask for assistance while going up on a ladder. Have a friend, family member or neighbor hold it in place.
- Plug too many decorations or strings of lights into the same outlet. If your power is constantly tripping you probably have too many things going on at once.
- Confuse indoor and outdoor lights. They’re made specifically for their intended purpose and cause major problems if used incorrectly.
- Leave the lights on all hours of the day and night. We recommend putting them on a timer to save energy and avoid overheating.
- Run extension cords under carpets or rugs, through doorways or around furniture.
From our family to yours, Lon Lockwood Electric is wishing all a very happy and healthy holiday season. And remember, when you need expert electrical service in Rochester, NY and the surrounding neighborhoods you can always count on us!