Did you know electric space heaters cause over 25,000 home fires and send over 6,000 people to the emergency room each year? Sure, they can be a great way to heat up a small space rather quickly, but they come along with some serious risks. See below to find out 5 common dangers associated with portable heaters so you don’t make the same mistakes:
It’s never a good idea to take matters into your own hands when it comes to space heaters. See below for just a few of the common dangers associated with this type of heating equipment:
- Purchasing Unapproved Models: electric heaters must be tested for safety and approved by Underwriters Laboratories (UL). If you don’t see the stamp of approval, stay away.
- Crowding The Equipment: it’s no surprise that space heaters produce heat, sometimes at high outputs. For this reason, it’s vital to keep at least 3 feet of space around the heather free of any other objects.
- The Heater Is Dirty: lots of homeowners neglect the heater all spring and summer long and you know what happens when things sit around – they collect dust and dirt. Believe it or not, a dirty heater can catch fire quite easily.
- Cracked Or Broken Plugs: just like with any other electronic device, cracked or broken plugs or wires is a severe risk. We strongly suggest not using the heater if any part of the equipment is broken or damaged.
- Using Extension Cords: it’s common for people to plug space heaters into extension cords in order to place the heater in an area of the house that doesn’t necessarily have a wall outlet. However, this can cause the extension cord to overheat and cause a fire. It’s also a bad idea to plug other devices into the same outlet as the heater.
Keep in mind that a space heater should only be used to supplement a home’s regular heating system if absolutely necessary. They should never be used as a main source of heat. Be sure to turn them off and unplug them if you leave the room and never use extension cords with space heaters.
We maintain affordable prices for each electrical service we perform. We consistently maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and we also won the local award for Best Electric Company in Rochester. Give Lon Lockwood Electric a call today at (585) 766-4702 to learn more about our services or to schedule an appointment.