With heavy snowfall in the forecast for the next two days, it can seem like spring will never get here. But we all know how quickly the weather can change here in Rochester and we can assure you warmer temperatures will be here before you know it. That means it’s just about time to get in the “spring cleaning” spirit which means getting your yard in tip-top shape.
Before you head outdoors this season to take care of the lawn, seal the driveway or clean the gutters take a few minutes to read over these outdoor electrical safety tips:
- Check to make sure all power and extension cords are labeled for outdoor use and that they have been tested by an independent testing laboratory.
- When you’re not using them, keep all electrical tools and devices indoors. Only take them out when you need them.
- Don’t forget to look up frequently, especially if you’re trimming tree branches near the roof. This could bring overhead power lines into play and you’ll want to steer clear of those.
- Call 811 before you dig. There could be underground power lines or electrical wires located beneath the surface and chopping away at the ground could cause serious problems.
- Make sure all electrical outlets are GFCI receptacles and have a weatherproof cover.
- Never string multiple extension cords together. Doing so is unsafe and will also reduce the power capacity of the cords.
If you’re unsure about any electrical issues around your home, don’t hesitate to give the electricians at Lon Lockwood Electric a call. After all, safety is our number one priority and we’d be more than happy to lend a hand.