Lon Lockwood to the Rescue! Call New York's Most Trusted Electrician Today.

How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

The best way to safeguard yourself and your family against the dangerous and potentially deadly consequences of carbon monoxide exposure is to know exactly how to prevent such overexposure.

Carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless, and tasteless, so you simply can’t rely on your senses to let you know if you have been exposed to dangerously high levels. One common sense way to prevent CO poisoning is to be aware of how others are feeling around you. If you are in your home, office, school, or any other public place, and a large number of people start feeling the same way—headaches, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, or other symptoms—leave the room or building immediately. If you and others start to feel better after leaving, then alert authorities, as it is probably a case of CO poisoning.

If certain symptoms only occur or become noticeable in your home certain times of year or seasons, that can be another indicator of CO exposure. Having all of the systems in your home checked for carbon monoxide leaks can reassure they are safe or fix a problem that may be making you or your family ill.

The best way to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning or overexposure is to have the professionals at Lon Lockwood Electric come in and assess the situation. We can install a detector that will alert you when levels reach too high, just as a smoke detector alerts you and your loved ones when there is a fire. Detectors are affordable and every home should have one. Another way to prevent or be proactive against the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning is to have each and every appliance checked. Lon Lockwood Electric can assess your systems for unhealthy emissions of carbon monoxide. Plus, with regular servicing and maintenance from Lon Lockwood Electric, your systems will operate safely and correctly, making carbon monoxide poisoning a non-issue. When systems are serviced, any potential threats to your family and your family’s health can be addressed before any harm occurs.

Carbon monoxide poisoning takes hundreds of lives in the U.S. each year and it is a very serious problem. Taking simple steps to prevent overexposure or to alert your household or business to changes in carbon monoxide levels can go a long way towards preventing illness or a tragedy. Lon Lockwood Electric will be giving away a carbon monoxide detector during January to help Rochester families safeguard their homes. Just “like” the Lon Lockwood Electric facebook page to be entered to win!