Carbon monoxide, otherwise known as the “silent killer.” What is it and why is it so dangerous? Well, the fact that it’s colorless, odorless and tasteless mixed with the fact that it’s given off by a number of items in your household combine to create a recipe for disaster. Find out what exactly carbon monoxide is and how you can protect yourself and family from its dangers below:
What Is Carbon Monoxide and Why Is It Dangerous?
Carbon monoxide, or CO, is a poisonous gas. It has no detectable odor and is a common hazardous result of burning natural gas and other materials containing carbon. If you have natural gas appliances, a natural gas or oil furnace, or a wood-burning fireplace inside your home, you could be at risk.
Because you can’t see it, smell it, or taste it, carbon monoxide is known as the “silent killer.” It’s harmful if inhaled because it displaces oxygen in the blood and deprives the heart, brain and other vital organs of the oxygen they need to function properly. But there’s no need to worry – take a few precautions and you’ll be in good shape.
How to Prevent CO Poisoning
In order to reduce the chances of you or your loved ones being poisoned, the first line of defense is to have carbon monoxide detectors installed. A detector gives an early warning to alert you when there is a dangerous situation so that you have enough time to get to safety. And luckily for you, Lon Lockwood Electric specializes in both smoke and carbon monoxide detector installation.
Having a working detector system properly installed by professional electricians will provide superior protection to you and your family. Call Lon Lockwood Electric today and ask for a free consultation with an expert about smoke and carbon dioxide detectors in your Rochester, NY home.