According to the U.S. Department of Energy, nearly 75% of appliance energy use occurs when the appliance is turned off. How does this happen? It’s a phenomenon commonly referred to as “phantom energy” and it’s causing your electric bills to skyrocket. See below for a few of the top energy wasters of 2016 and find out how you can stop the waste this year:
- Plasma Televisions: these energy guzzlers are costing you nearly $150 per year while you’re not even watching the TV.
- Window Air Conditioners: how would you like to keep an extra $105 in your wallet? Well, that’s how much money you’re paying toward your electric bill as a result of leaving window air conditioners plugged in all year ‘round.
- Computers: we’re going to take a guess that you’re probably not using your desktop every single day. Did you know that this device can cost you close to $63 per year?
- Video Game Systems: these electronics can cost you upwards of $25 each year and that’s per machine. If you or your children have more than one system hooked up, you can do the math.
- Coffee Maker: there’s nothing better than a fresh cup of joe in the morning, but remember to turn it off and unplug it while it’s not in use. Otherwise you’ll be spending $22 or more each year for nothing.
These are a just a few of the most common energy wasters in households across the United States. This year, make it a priority to cut back on energy consumption and you’ll find yourself with a wealth of savings.
For all of your electrical needs in Rochester and the surrounding neighborhoods, give the expert electricians at Lon Lockwood Electric a call! From lighting installations to rewiring and everything in between, we’ve got you covered!