By Lon Lockwood |
Working to create a festive home this season? Nothing kicks off the holidays like a well-decorated home, but you must follow some safety precautions while you prepare. After all, a little bit of attentiveness goes a long way!
- Opt for LED bulbs for your tree. They give off less heat than older incandescent bulbs and can keep your tree from going up in flames. It’s also a good idea to keep delicate bulbs and ornaments near the top of the tree away from small children.
- Check the cords on all light strands and electrical cords for fraying or damage. If you notice anything, replace it immediately.
- Never run electrical cords underneath furniture, rugs or across doorways.
- Keep your tree and all decorations at least three feet away from any heat source. This includes the fireplace, radiator, and any open flames.
- Lighting a fire? Be sure to clear the hearth of all decorations.
- Use clips or hooks to hang lights rather than staples.