How much do you spend on energy bills each month? Did you know that nearly 5% of this cost comes from lighting? Although it may not sound like a drastic figure in the grand scheme of your bills, it’s a component of your bill that can easily be reduced.
The first step in cutting down on the amount spent on lighting each month is choosing the right type of lighting for your needs. We understand that aesthetics and decor might be a top priority, but choosing energy efficient bulbs can really make a difference.
- It’s time to swap out those inefficient incandescent bulbs. Most of the energy used by this type of bulb is turned into heat rather than actual light making it a poor choice when it comes to efficiency.
- Using halogen downlights? This may not be your best option because although they give off bright light, it’s very narrow so you’ll need a number of fixtures and bulbs to adequately light up a space.
The second step in cutting down on lighting costs involves making the most of natural light. Take advantage of the sun’s rays because after all, it’s free. Accompany natural light with a few small changes around your home and you might find yourself turning on the lights less often.
- Take advantage of south-facing windows if you have the option. Since the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, south-facing windows will receive the most sunlight throughout the day.
- Open curtains and blinds during the daytime hours to allow natural light to penetrate your home.
- Consider adding skylights and keep in mind that taller, rather than wider, windows will allow more light in.
Finally, remember to turn lights off every time you leave the room. This is where automating your home comes into play.
- With a smart lighting system, you can turn the lights on or off from your smartphone, tablet or laptop.
- Forget to turn the lights off when you leave the house? Don’t worry, in most situations you can turn them off from anywhere in the world so long as you have internet connection.
For more information about how to save on energy bills via lighting and electrical devices, contact the experts at Lon Lockwood Electric. Interested in having a smart lighting system installed in your Rochester home? Our expert electricians are well-trained and up-to-date on the latest technology so give us a call at (585) 766-4702 to learn more!