We Take Safety Very Seriously
Let our friendly service professionals improve your home electrical safety by installing new and additional power outlets and ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) to help prevent electrical hazards in your home today. Give Lon Lockwood Electric a call for an appointment that makes the safety difference and get provides the protection you and your family deserve.
Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter
GFCIs are designed to protect people from electrical shock. GFCIs do this by interrupting household circuits when there is a difference between the currents in the hot and neutral wires. When a difference is detected it usually means that an abnormal amount of current from the hot wire is occurring. That current could be flowing through a ground wire via a leak from a motor or capacitor.
It could even mean that someone has come in contact with the hot wire and is experiencing a shock. When a circuit is functioning normally, all the return current from the appliance goes back through the neutral wire. If the neutral wire and the hot wire have unevenly distributed current this could produce a very hazardous shock. A typical circuit breaker is designed to cut off at 20 amperes. However, someone can be electrocuted with 100 milliamperes. circuit breaker with a GFCI will detect a few milliamperes and trip the breaker to remove the shock hazard.
At Lon Lockwood Electric we take you and your family’s safety seriously, and we want to make sure that your home is protected from electrical hazards. Call Lon Lockwood Electric for an appointment today!
Is My Home Safe From Electrical Hazards?
Electrical hazards that can lead to serious injury often go undetected because electricity occurs silently behind the scenes. According to U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) there were 400 accidental electrocutions in 2000. Many of these involve items you unconsciously use every day. It is important to recognize hazards before they cause a serious injury, disability or fatality.
Are You At Risk Of Being Electrocuted?
Electrocution occurs when the body provides the most direct pathway for electrical current to reach the ground. If a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) is installed in the home, electrocution can be prevented. A GFCI detects any change in electrical current and abruptly switches off the power before electrocution can occur. Not only are GFCIs a great way to protect you from potential electrocution, the National Electrical Code requires GFCI protection for most outdoor receptacles, bathroom receptacle circuits, garage wall outlets, kitchen receptacles, and ALL receptacles in crawl spaces and unfinished basements. Is your home protected with GFCIs?
Could An Electrical Fire Take Place In Your Home?
The CPSC estimates that annually, over 165,000 fires are caused by faulty electrical wiring. Arcing faults are one of the major reasons these electrical fires are started. When an arc occurs, it generates high temperatures that often exceed 10,000 degrees Fahrenheit. This high-intensity heat may ignite surrounding material like wood or insulation and quickly spread fire throughout your home.
An arcing fault is a dangerous electrical problem caused by damaged, overheated, or stressed wiring, cables, or appliances. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development reports an absence of AFCIs as one of the three primary residential hazards associated with burns and fire-related injuries.
AFCIs continuously monitor electrical current flow and determine when there is unwanted arcing. Once unwanted arcing is detected, the AFCI trips the internal contacts and immediately turns off the circuit, reducing the chances of an electrical fire. Arc fault circuit interrupters are among the easiest and most cost effective home electrical safety devices you can have installed.
What Causes Unwanted Arc Faults To Occur?
- Pinched or pierced insulation on construction wires or cords
- Wires punctured by nails or screws when hanging things like pictures
- A chair leg sitting on an extension cord
- Cracked insulation on wire or cords from age, heat, chemical erosion or stress
- Overheated wires and cords caused by overloading home electrical circuits
- Loose or improper connections
- Frayed or ruptured extension cords or appliance cords
- Electrical appliances that have damaged electrical parts
- Moisture or contaminants between conductors of different voltage
- Electrical wire insulation that has been chewed on by rodents
Don’t take chances with your family’s safety. Call Lon Lockwood Electric today to learn more about our complete line of home electrical safety products and services.