You’re sitting on the couch and everything is at peace. The TV is turned off. Your cell phone and laptop are turned off. All of your dishes and silverware are clean and put away in the cabinet and the laundry is folded. Then you realize the electricity meter is still spinning like crazy – how could this be? The answer: vampire energy.
What is Vampire Energy?
Even if your electronic devices are turned off, they can still be consuming electricity if they are plugged in. In fact, 25% or more of home electricity is wasted on inactive devices. It’s time to put a stop to it right away.
Fast Fixes for Wasted Electricity:
- Switch to LED light bulbs. They consume much less energy than traditional incandescents and produce less heat. It’s a win-win.
- Turn off the lights every single time you leave the room. Even if you plan on returning in a few minutes or a few hours, every little bit counts. There’s no reason to light up an unoccupied room.
- Unplug your chargers. We’re going to guess you have at least 2-3 electronic device charges plugged in at any given time. Even if they’re not currently charging one of your devices, they’re using energy if they’re plugged in.
- Turn off and unplug devices that aren’t in use. This goes for the TV, computer and all of your small appliances (coffee pot, toaster, blender, etc.)
- Wait until you have full loads before you wash your clothes and your dishes. There’s no reason to waste energy on just a pieces of clothing or a few dirty dishes – plus, we’re going to guess that you have a few extras to hold you over until they’re clean again.
Lon Lockwood Electric specializes in residential installation, repair, and maintenance of electrical work in Rochester, New York. Our electricians, well trained and experienced, possess a comprehensive knowledge of electrical systems. Rely on us for any kind of residential electrical services.