Picture this: you walk into the kitchen and flip on the light switch only to get hit with an electrical shock. Luckily for you, it was only a minor shock that caused you to flinch and pull your hand away, but it could have been worse. This situation could easily become a reality if you have an outdated electrical system consisting of old wiring.
So, what should you be looking for that will tell you your wiring is in dire need of an upgrade?
- Sparking Outlets: save the sparkling for the fireworks – your outlets should not be taking this job. If you notice they are sparking whenever you plug something in, call an electrician right away. After all, sparks are what usually leads to fires.
- Flickering Lights: ever notice the lights flicker while sitting in your bedroom or the living room? This could even be the case when you plug in an appliance such as the vacuum cleaner or hair dryer. Flickering lights often indicate your home’s electrical system can no longer handle your electrical demands, which could lead to serious problems.
- Damaged, Frayed, or Broken Wires: if this isn’t a telltale sign, we don’t know what is. Damaged wires should NEVER be ignored and should only be handled by a licensed electrician.
Many homeowners attempt to fix their own electrical problems, usually to try to save money. But many breakdowns that we’ve serviced in Rochester and Fairport could have been avoided if the homeowner had called us first.
If you notice any of the warning signs above, do not hesitate to give the experts at Lon Lockwood Electric a call. Your safety is our priority!