Did you know June is the first month of hurricane season? We normally think of it as the first official month of summer, but with warm temperatures and high humidity comes the chance of a serious storm. Don’t get left in the dark this season – equip your home with a backup generator.
Benefits of a Backup Generator
- No need to leave your home to stay in a hotel for a couple of days
- Power radios or televisions to receive updates about the storm
- Charge cell phones so you can call for help if need be, or to get in touch with friends or family members
- Reduce the risk of having food spoil by keeping your refrigerator plugged in.
- No need to worry about open flames from candles causing a fire
- Keep the air conditioner running so you don’t have to worry about an uncomfortable house when the power goes out.
Generator Safety Tips
- Never run portable generators in confined spaces, including the garage or shed.
- Keep the generator away from your house – at least 10 feet to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Always have generators installed by licensed professionals. Most require special switches for safety.
- Unplug any devices you are not using to avoid a power surge when the power comes back on.
- Have extra gasoline on hand, but be sure to store it carefully.
Hurricane Season Safety Tips
- Unplug electrical devices and appliances.
- Use battery-powered flashlights instead of candles.
- Stock up on bottled water and non-perishable foods.
- Wait until power is fully restored before turning electronics back on.
- Use wall outlets if flood waters enter your home.
- Operate a generator inside your home or garage.
- Open the refrigerator or freezer if the power goes out.
- Touch or drive through fallen or downed power lines.
Lon Lockwood Electric specializes in residential installation, repair, and maintenance of electrical work in Rochester, New York. As a locally owned company, we understand the pride of Rochester, NY residents in our great city and the surrounding counties.