What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you think of a power surge? Chances are, you’re thinking of things like a severe thunderstorm or lightning or a combination of the two. But did you know that a power surge can actually originate inside your home? In fact, the main source of more than half of all home power surges comes from inside a house.
What is a Power Surge?
Let’s start with the basics. A power surge happens when there is a temporary spike in electrical current, above the standard 120-volt, 60Hz single phase electrical power most homes receive. They typically last just a few seconds but they can cause severe damage.
Common Causes of a Power Surge:
- Lightning and electrical storms
- Down power lines
- Power outages
- Power plant maintenance
While all of the above typically happen outside of your home, there are lots of components inside that can trigger a surge. For example, faulty or damaged electrical wiring, poor connections, bad electrical components and appliances cycling on and off.
That brings us to your air conditioning system. We generally consider central air systems to be large appliances and guess what – when large appliances cycle on and off constantly, power surges can ensue. Why air conditioners? Well, their size and the amount of energy they draw each time they turn on both play major roles.
With that said, take this as a reminder to check your home’s electrical system for faulty wiring, bad connections and any other warning signs. Sure, it may take a few minutes out of your day, but it can save you a major headache down the road.
Electrical upgrades and improvements not only increase the value and status of your home, they help you save money and energy while increasing your property’s safety and security. Call on the pros at Lon Lockwood Electric today to find out if your home’s electrical system is safe and sound.