With so many people forced to stay at home due to coronavirus concerns, homeowners are left wondering how they can save money on their electricity bills each month. Increased electricity use can place a major drain on your monthly budget — especially as more people are working from home or using electronics to pass the time.
Lon Lockwood Electric knows how stressful it can be to find ways to save money on your monthly electric bill. That’s why we’ve put together a list of the best ways homeowners can save money on their electricity expenses while staying at home. Read on to learn how you can optimize your electricity use to save big on your next bill!
Best Ways to Save Money on Electricity While at Home
Being kept in lockdown limbo is hard enough as it is without having to worry about how the increased time at home will affect your monthly expenses. Especially with so much of our entertainment sources depending heavily on the use of electricity, it can be incredibly difficult to find ways to trim the fat when it comes to energy use. The following tips can help you save money on your electricity bills while still allowing you to stay entertained while at home:
- Unplug: When you’re finished using small appliances, electronics, and gaming systems, unplug them completely to prevent them from drawing additional power from your home’s electrical system.
- Power Strip: Plug your personal electronics into one power strip and turn off the strip when you’re finished using them.
- Lights: If you’re not in the room, turn out the light! Likewise, try replacing your lightbulbs with more energy-efficient LED lights.
- Strategic Use: Refrain from using all major appliances simultaneously as this can place an unnecessary strain on your home’s electrical system and lead to increased spending.
By following these money-saving tips, you’ll be well on your way to ending the sticker shock associated with your energy bill. Make sure each member of your family understands the new rules to get the most out of your new and improved electricity use strategy!
More Ways to Save Money on Electric Bills
In addition to making changes to your electricity use, you can also take advantage of some alternative methods to stay comfortable and entertained at home to help decrease spending. The following are just some of the ways in which you can get even more creative with your electricity conservation:
- Keeping Cool: Rather than cranking up the air conditioner, opt for a personal fan to keep cool as the summer heat sets in. Remember to shut it off when you’re not in the room.
- Making Adjustments: Try adjusting the settings on your TV so it’s not as bright. You can also choose to stream media on smaller devices, such as tablets, phones, or fully charged laptops.
- Schedule Accordingly: Upstate NY residents should opt to do more energy-intensive chores — such as laundry and dishes — during off-peak hours between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m.
If you commit yourself to making these small adjustments to your daily routine, you’ll enjoy all the same home entertainment without the associated price tag.
Lon Lockwood Electric for Your Service Needs
At Lon Lockwood Electric, we understand that increased electrical use can sometimes mean the need for repair and replacement. If you’re experiencing electrical problems in your Upstate NY home, contact the team at Lon Lockwood Electric to schedule service today. We’ll deliver the fast, effective services you need to steer clear of going stir crazy during the COVID-19 shutdown!