Lon Lockwood to the Rescue! Call New York's Most Trusted Electrician Today.

Why is Old Wiring Dangerous?

Imagine this: you’re sitting in your home one day when all of a sudden you smell smoke. You can’t identify where it’s coming until that electrical outlet in the wall catches fire. Now you’ve got a real problem on your hands – a problem that could have been prevented if you simply had your old wiring upgraded. If your house was built more than 40 years ago, it’s time to replace the electrical wiring to keep you and your family safe.

Why is Old Wiring Dangerous?

Aside from the fact that electrical code has changed numerous times throughout the years and your old wiring probably doesn’t meet today’s expectations, wire insulation deteriorates over time. This can cause wires to overheat. It’s worth mentioning that faulty wiring is the leading cause of residential fires, according to a 2009 study by the National Fire Prevention Agency (NFPA).

Red Flags to Look For

There are certain warning signs that indicate your wiring is no longer safe. If you notice any of the below, call in an electrician right away:

  • Fuses that blow frequently
  • Wall switch plates that are warm to the touch
  • Tingling sensations when you touch appliances
  • Dimming or flickering lights
  • Discolored wall outlets

You might think you can avoid upgrading your old wires, but you never know when one will overheat and cause a fire. Don’t take the risk, call on the expert electricians at Lon Lockwood Electric today to find out how we can help!